FREE Yoga for Veterans Yoga Teacher Certification
Certification Course for Yoga Teachers
This weekend, hands-on, comprehensive workshop is the first step on the path to becoming a FREE Yoga for Veterans instructor. This training is like no other as it equips attendees with the practical skills necessary to provide yoga for this specific population, the skills needed to get a class started, and the level of confidence it takes to make it all happen.
FREE Yoga for Veterans is based on an empirically informed, clinically tested program called Mindful Yoga Therapy (MYT). MYT is designed as a stand-alone 12 week program. FREE Yoga for Veterans has adapted this program for use in long-term, ongoing drop-in classes for veterans in our community.
In this training, we will focus on six tools that veterans can use to cope with the effects of living with trauma and post-traumatic stress – and to live more resilient and joyful lives: Pranayama (breathing), Asana (postures connected with breath), Yoga Nidra, Meditation, Gratitude, and Peer Support.
This program covers:
- How yoga helps veterans
- The six tools: Asana, Pranayama, Yoga Nidra, Meditation, Gratitude, and Peer Support.
- Special considerations and specific techniques for working with veterans
- Special considerations for working with sub-populations within the veteran community.
- Appropriateness and variations of asana
- Understanding veteran culture
- How to start bringing FREE Yoga for Veterans into your community
- FREE Yoga for Veterans class protocol for use in ongoing classes
FREE Yoga for Veterans Certification Process
From start to finish, each step is deliberate in building a strong foundation to become the FREE Yoga for Veterans instructor you desire to be.
The first step is to take the training workshop. During this workshop you will build a foundation for earning your certification, serving your future students and building a class.
There is only one additional required fee beyond the cost of the training:
Annual membership to FREE Yoga for Veterans of $75 for your first year and $50 per year after that. As long as your membership is active, it includes a listing on FREE Yoga for Veterans website, the support of the FREE Yoga for Veterans Team, and unlimited free attendance at any future training course you’ve already completed.
The entire fee associated with becoming a certified FREE Yoga for Veterans is $472.
Take the first step in becoming a true leader who makes a difference in the lives of veterans in your community.
*all fees are non-refundable*
On the day of the training
Arrive ready to learn – about yourself, about veterans, yoga, reaching out to the veteran community, and finding a space and/or funding for your class. You’ll be inspired, you’ll connect with the attendees around you, and you’ll take a huge step in learning what it means to support those who have served. By signing your Membership Agreement and paying your annual dues, you will be entitled to all of the privileges and benefits of a FREE Yoga for Veterans Professional Association member.
After the Training
You will receive your certification packet via email. You will be given very specific research to do as well as a very extensive and comprehensive open book test.
Upon receiving your completed certification packet, we will schedule an in person or online video conference interview. You will be granted certification or receive additional tasks to be sure that you have met the standards set forth by FREE Yoga for Veterans Professional Association.
Requirements for Certification
- Register for and attend the Teaching FREE Yoga for Veterans weekend workshop.
- Sign Membership Agreement and pay first annual dues prior to your Workshop ($75 first year, $50 per year each year thereafter)
- Send a Photo of Yourself and Complete Webpage Content Questionnaire (Questionnaire will be emailed with your certification packet. Please complete and email.)
- Begin teaching veterans as a Pre-Certified FYFV Instructor
- Complete Certification Packet within 18 months of the workshop
(Extensions can be requested in writing when circumstances prevent completion in the allotted time frame)
- Provide us with 3 letters of recommendation and indicate 1 author you’ve selected for us to call.
- Provide us with 3 Student Evaluations and indicate 1 student you’ve selected for us to interview — you must have worked a minimum of 10 hours with the student.
- Read one of our recommended books and write 3 short essays
- Complete the comprehensive, open-book exam
- Complete an interview with our director, Nancy Garnhart
- Maintain Standards of Professionalism, as set forth in the Membership Agreement
- Obtain CPR/First Aid certification
- Obtain Liability Insurance
- Maintain 200 hour or above Yoga Teacher Certification (Yoga Alliance or equivalent)